Monday, October 18, 2010

Neil's Anniversary Present

My husband is a great gift giver.  He is so thoughtful and even sometimes extravagant.  That works well for us since I tend to be more reserved and conservative.  In our two short years together, he has certainly done some really nice things for me.  From surprise diamond earrings at Christmas to a surprise belly cast, done when I was 41 weeks pregnant and tired, just because, to make me feel better about my body. Pretty sweet, huh? It isn't the material-ness that means the most, not at all. It is the creativity and the thought.  I have gotten countless cards, flowers, notes, trips and tickets.  Most of these were, as I like to call it PK-PH (pre-kids, pre-houses), when we had much more disposable income than we have now. Man, those days were nice, but I wouldn't change how it is today for anything. We have absolutely everything we need, we are blessed.  But, now times are a bit tighter and I think I got my most thoughtful gift of all. 

Originally, we planned on taking our honeymoon on or one year anniversary.  You see, we did things a wee bit backwards.  First came love, then came baby, then came marriage, then came multiple mortgages, job changes and major unexpected expenses.  Sooooo, instead we bought appliances for the house and stuck local.  My mother in law was gracious enough to fly in and watch Porter and Neil and I got a night away at a hotel that we got a 60% discount on.  When it came to gifts, I wanted it cheap and simple..... nothing extravagant, I told him. So, he went the thoughtful route and it meant the world to me.

Neil stuck to "tradition" with typical Neil flair. It started with a  bouquet of carnations.  Red, pink and white.  Inside the card read.....
 
I Love you! I look forward to spending anniversary after anniversary with you.  Carnations are the traditional flowers of first anniversaries, their scientific name "Dianthus", means flowers of God. That is because you are my goddess.  Dark red mean deep love & affection, white are for pure love & good luck, pink symbolizes a mother's undying love.  Love Always, Neil





Then I got a small, brown leather bound notebook and card number two.  Inside, the card read....

The traditional first anniversary gift is paper. Really?! What am I supposed to do with that? I thought hard and I hope you like what I came up with.  I'll be with you through anything. 
Love, Neil


Inside the leather bound notebook, on the first page he wrote.....

For our anniversary I want to make it easy for you to help me pull my weight around the house. Just look at all the lists you can make for me!

Turn Page, and he wrote

I also would like to offer you these as well:
  • one foot massage
  • one load of dishes
  • one load of laundry
  • one bathroom cleaning
  • one home cooked dinner
  • one night off to go out
  • an hour of undivided attention (no football)
  • a massage (professional)
  •  pedicure
  • a whole second page to fill up yourself
        I Love you






Fast forward to checking into the hotel.  There I was presented card number 3.  The other "traditional" first anniversary gift is clocks.  So I got a small box, with an inexpensive fashion-type watch and in the card he wrote.....

I will love you until the end of time.  When I am by myself and I think about the fact that you are my wife and it still makes me smile uncontrollably.
Always, Neil


Then I got another hard bound, larger green notebook and the final card #4.  And in the card he wrote....



I love our life.  I want us to give each other a gift.  When we wrote our vows last year we had no idea what it was like to be married. Now we do and I want to make new vows to you. New vows with you based on the experience and knowledge of actually being married.
Thankfully Yours, Neil


Open the notebook, and on the first page reads....

For us to share in good times and bad, to share our hopes and fears and convey our needs and gratitude.


Neil's idea here was to use the traditional gift of paper and use it as a journal or sorts for the two of us.  A place to write notes, fears, even anger and communicate respectfully with one another throughout year two.  Starting with a new set of vows and promises for the coming year.  A place to come back to to re-evaluate our priorities whenever we need to. To keep us honest, fresh, romantic.  I love it.

I cannot tell you how meaningful and thoughtful I found his gifts to me.  For very little money he was able to give me a really romantic, refreshing, inspirational anniversary.  I feel really honored and lucky to be his wife. My true life started the day I met him.  I am so excited about our future!  Hopefully, God willing, it brings as many babies, blessings, and memories as great as our first year.  I think this was the best gift I ever got.
The whole thing. Lovely. Perfect. Heartfelt.







Paper+Clocks+Carnations= Perfect 1st Anniversary


1 comment:

  1. Wow! Neil is such a thoughtful, appreciative, loving husband to you!!! I was blown away by his gift choices and how he made each one so special... I'm so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete