Saturday, October 23, 2010

My Cute $3.50 Find.......


How appropriate is this??!  Gotta love Paula Deen! I got this on clearance for $3.50 at Tuesday Morning, a local discount store.  I saw it and HAD to have it.  I think I am going to hang it above my sink.  I also thought of my fellow blogger friend Sarah, since she recently moved to the South and is probably enjoying all the Southern food that we cannot get down here! She needs this too, I think we both married Southern men. They sure do cook different.  Lots of fried stuff.  Neil and my mother in law tell me all about the fried Coke, Snickers, Twinkies.  Blech, can't quite do those, but I do enjoy lots of traditional Southern cuisine.  My mother in law is an excellent teacher and expert on Southern Cuisine, she was with me when I bought it.  I do love the food though, High Cotton, in downtown Charleston is one of my favorite restaurants ever!

Here are my FAVORITE Southern Dishes:

  • Country Style Steak (not to be confused with Country Fried Steak)
  • Mac and Cheese
  • Carolina Mustard BBQ Sauce, goes great on Pork
  • Fried Chicken (of course!)
  • Buscuits and Gravy
  • Peach Cobbler
I am no expert yet on cooking ALL of these, but I am learning.  My mother in law's Shrimp and Grits are famous in Neil's hometown, but I don't like Shrimp or grits.  Blech.  There are variations on everyday dishes that I like "Southern Style" as in blackened, cajun style, spicy.  I like spicy.  I love going back to South Carolina and eating at all the local spots. Mmmmm.... Yummy!

6 comments:

  1. Ahh, thanks for thinking of me! It has definitely been something to get used to- that's for sure! I am glad you are having so much fun learning from your mother-in-law. Do they have Bojangles in South Carolina? That is my husband's favorite Southern "delicacy".

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh yes! My husbands favorite too! I think our hubby's would get along great it seems, they say nag, we say put away, both obsessed with CNBC, Hamburger Helper, all things financial related, great husbands, and now Bojangles!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a fast food chain the the South that has absolutely nothing good for you! Neil's favorite is the country fried steak buscuit.... yeah.... 'nuff said! he he

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, man...Bojangles. My husband misses that place like woah.

    And the mere mention of Carolina Mustard BBQ sauce made my mouth water. So. Good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bojangles is nasty. It's like a Cajun gross version of Chick-Fil-A. Spicy and peppery, blech. But my husband likes it. So he goes for breakfast or lunch because there is just nothing there that I can eat. . .

    Linsay, our husband would totally get along! Southern men, gotta love 'em!

    ReplyDelete